Timber flooring, simply called wood flooring is the most common type of flooring seen in the houses nowadays. It’s one of the most eye catching features in residential places. Not only in homes but also many working places or buildings have timber flooring installation.
It makes that particular place a pleasing and attractive one which gives a different kind of elegance to the place. Timber is used instead of any other material because it’s cheap, durable, prepossessing, easy to clean and maintain. There are many ways in which these timber flooring installation can be done which not only makes the place fabulous but also unique in its own way. Let us get to know more about the ways through which these timbers can be used to humans.
Precautions before installation of timber flooring
You should complete all the work related to painting on your wall because wall needs to be dry before you start installation. You should remove all the electrical equipments and wiring components to be on safe side. You should take all the articles from that particular room in which you are going to install timber flooring. You have to remove all items such as cabinets, closets and containers.
Styles of timber flooring
Plank flooring: (larger planks of timber used joint with tongues and grooves)
- Wood block flooring: (uses thick timber or wooden blocks which are placed according to a suitable design)
- Parquet flooring: (this a combine of strip and wood block flooring which is popular in these days)
- Strip flooring: (timber strips are cut in long length and narrow width)
Types of Timber flooring installation
Along with the styles used there are different ways of timber flooring installation. These flooring systems help in keeping the bond between timber and concrete strong, making the floor a tough one. The different ways of installation are-
- Single joint timber floors– This is a kind of installation of timber on floors and ceilings with a single set of joists. This is also called as single framed floor. They are basically used in residential buildings or residential places owned by individuals. The floor consists of wooden joists which are kept apart for a few centimeters and timber planking is fixed. The joists may be 5 to 8 cams in width and they are notched in the wall endings for a strong holding between the walls and the floor.
- Double joist timber flooring– This is one of the strongest timbers flooring installation process. They use two sets of joists, one with the floor and another with the ceiling which also leads to its name to double framed floor.
- Triple joist timber flooring– In this kind of flooring an intermediate is used for binders known as girders. There are main elements used in the timber flooring installation with this process and they are floor boards, binders, girders and bridging joists. The bridging joists support the boards and the binders are supported by the girders which lead to rigidity of the floor and decreases overall depth.
Other installation systems preferred
Tongue and groove flooring– These are one of the best method for keeping all the timber intact to each other. On one side at the end grooves are notched and on the other side, at the end a tongue is notched. After they are aligned to the planks they are not visible. They can also be glued down or floated or nailed down.
- Woodloc system-These are basically designed for floated installations. They use engineered bamboos or solid wooden blocks.
- Floor connection system– In this kind of installation, grooves is nailed at all the four ends for joining two planks together.
Timber flooring installation is not only common but also demanding. May be it has some advantages or disadvantages, but wood or timber forms a greater part for most of the construction process. After completion of the timber flooring installation, it does add a kind of spark and shine to the place. Along with timber, bamboo and solid hardwood flooring also forms a greater part of timber flooring.